Tuesday, August 29, 2017

10/26/11 PAUL ON HIS DEPARTURE

10/26/11 PAUL ON HIS DEPARTURE

On 10/17/11 I mentioned that our DEPARTURE can come by either BLASTING OFF (Rapture) or TIME RUNNING OUT (Death). I want to share with you some thoughts from Paul, concerning his impending DEPARTURE. I have given some cross references. I hope it is a blessing. Taken from 2 Tm. 4:6-8.

PAUL'S DEPARTURE...
2 Timothy 4:6-8

(6) For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
(7) I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
(8) Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

(VS. 6) For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
A. READY TO BE OFFERED... Paul lived his life as an offering, a libation (drink offering). We should live our lives as an offering, to be poured out.

There are two ways we can offer our lives.
1. We sacrifice ourselves in service to God (Ro. 12:1) and others (2 Co. 4:5), that they may be partakers of the faith (Ph. 2:17).
2. We may finally spill our blood in martyrdom, as we serve God and others (Ac. 20:24).

B. THE TIME OF MY DEPARTURE IS NEAR...

1. The Greek word, which is translated, “DEPART,” refers to Paul's impending death (Ph. 1:23). In Greek it means;
a. Loose Moorings, Weigh Anchor.
With this in mind, we think of sailing out of the stormy waters of this world into the peaceful harbor of heaven.
b. Pull Up Stakes, Fold Tent, Break Camp.
With this in mind we think of a soldier breaking camp on the battlefield and heading home.
2. Paul knew that his time of departure was near, because he was facing execution at the hands of the State. Most people do not know when they will die, but we know that when we die we will give account for the lives we have lived (Ro. 14:12).

(VS. 7) I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
A. FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT...
1. What is the Good Fight?
a. The good fight, (endeavor) is a spiritual conflict (Ep. 6:12).
b The good fight is fought lawfully (2 Tm. 2:5).
Our struggle is not so much with sin (Jesus delivers us from sin in this present life, Ga. 1:4) but rather it is with Satan and temptation (Ja. 4:7 and 1 Co. 10:13), since both of these are still active.

B. FINISH THE COURSE...

It is not enough that we start the race or that we start the race well. It is not even sufficient to cover most of the racecourse. We must finish the course, continue the race to the end. No one wins a race that he does not finish. (Mt. 24:13; *He. 3:14; Re. 3:11)

C. KEEP THE FAITH...

Do not veer from God's course (1 Corinthians 9:24; Ga. 5:7; Ph. 2:16).
The Christian life is not a life of legalism (salvation by keeping laws), neither is it a life of lawlessness (Ro. 2:8; 2 Th. 1:8). While no one is saved by keeping a set of laws, no one is saved who disobeys the moral law of God (Ro. 1:5; He. 5:9). Grace not only provides forgiveness for sins committed, grace provides power to live a life that is obedient to God (Ro. 6:14, 16, 17; 2 Co. 10:5; 1 Pe. 1:2).

(VS. 8) Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
A. Believers are rewarded because they are conquerors, not because they were contestants (Ja. 1:12; Re. 3:5).
B. Crowned with righteousness for living a life of righteousness (Ro. 2:5-10; 2 Co. 5:10; Re. 19:8; Re. 22:12).
C. Jesus judges our words, deeds and thoughts righteously (Re. 16:7; Re. 19:11; Re. 22:12).

REFERENCES POSTED...
VS. 6
ROMANS 12:1

(1) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 CORINTHIANS 4:5
(5) For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

PHILIPPIANS 2:17
(17) Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.

ACTS 20:24-25
(24) But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
(25) And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.

PHILIPPIANS 1:23
(23) For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

ROMANS 14:12
(12) So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

VS 7
EPHESIANS 6:12

(12) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2 TIMOTHY 2:5
(5) And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

GALATIANS 1:4
(4) Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

JAMES 4:7
(7) Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 CORINTHIANS 10:13

(13) There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

MATTHEW 24:13
(13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

HEBREWS 3:14
(14) For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

REVELATION 3:11
(11) Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

1 CORINTHIANS 9:24
(24) Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

GALATIANS 5:7
(7) Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

PHILIPPIANS 2:16
(16) Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

ROMANS 2:8
(8) But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

2 THESSALONIANS 1:8
(8) In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

ROMANS 1:5
(5) By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

HEBREWS 5:9
(9) And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

ROMANS 6:14-17
(14) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
(15) What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
(16) Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
(17) But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

2 CORINTHIANS 10:5

(5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

1 PETER 1:2
(2) Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

VS. 8
JAMES 1:12

(12) Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

REVELATION 3:5
(5) He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

ROMANS 2:5-10
(5) But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
(6) Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
(7) To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
(8) But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
(9) Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
(10) But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

2 CORINTHIANS 5:10
(10) For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

REVELATION 19:8
(8) And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

REVELATION 22:12

(12) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

REVELATION 16:7
(7) And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.

REVELATION 19:11
(11) And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

REVELATION 22:12
(12) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

No comments:

Post a Comment