Tuesday, August 29, 2017

12/20/11 IT WAS NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS 

12/20/11 IT WAS NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS 

Original poem by Pastor David L. Gould

It was NIGHT before Christmas, I'd finished my task,
I had gotten their presents, whatever they'd asked;
Now I'd sit by the fire and then kick off my shoes;
Maybe I could catch me a forty wink snooze.

But I wasn't finished, with things left to do,
Like assemble computers and take out old Blue,
And wrapping some presents.........; I wished I were done,
Because whatever I do, just isn't fun.

It will take me all year to pay for this stuff,
And making a living has gotten so rough,
My wife and myself are both having to slave,
While our marriage is slipping into the grave

I'll just take a drink, it should ease me of pain,
And drown out her whining that pounds on my brain...
I've given my all, I'm worn to a frazzle,
Marriage and fam'ly have long lost their dazzle.

I thought that by now I'd have reached all my dreams,
With my houses and cars and boats and my schemes.
But I'm empty inside, there's no peace and no cheer,
And all I can see is another dark year.

I turned on the CD, I wanted to block
Out the thoughts of my life being dashed on the rocks.
My kids had left in some songs of the season,
About Jesus being the holiday's reason.

I smirked as I heard the familiar old songs,
Of One born to rid us of all of our wrongs.
About a dark world all wrapped up in sin's night,
About a star leading men with its bright light.

I sat in my chair as I started to muse,
About a Boy Baby, Who came to the Jews.
He came not to live, but to die on a Cross,
And trade me His treasures for all of my loss.

I heard the sweet message which angels had told,
To shepherds awatching o'er sheep in the cold,
And how in the stable of Bethlehem's Inn,
They found God's Own Lamb, Who would take away sin.

At some point the CD had started to play,
Songs about wise men who had lived far away,
But then they had traveled to worship this King;
Gifts of great value to Him they did bring.

I remembered the story of Herod so vile,
He sent out his soldiers to kill the Christ child;
He killed little boys, to serve his own plan,
He would not be conquered by this Son of Man.

I started to weep as it dawned upon me,
I had shut out the Child in spite of His plea.
I too, had decided to kill off the One,
Who loved me to death, God's Only Son.

Christmas was not to be found at the store,
Or corked in a bottle or on the dance floor,
It's letting Lord Jesus come into your heart,
Forgive all your sins as He gives a new start.

I bowed my poor soul as I knelt on the floor,
And asked Him to enter my life evermore.
I joined with the ones who had welcomed His birth,
And with a great throng who discovered His worth.

I now know the meaning of that special day,
Not tinsel or Santa or money I pay;
But love and contentment, and peace in my heart;
My past is forgiven, I have a new start.

It was NIGHT before Christmas, until the Son shone,
Out of His manger like a glorious throne;
I understand now what they meant way back then,
When they said Peace on Earth and Good Will to Men.

Merry Christmas,
Pastor David L. Gould

No comments:

Post a Comment